Position: Program Manager - Full time, renewable based on performance
Beginning time: As soon as possible
Working location: Hanoi (required travelling domestically and internationally)
Local Partner: Ministry of Science and Technology
Vietnam’s Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) with the support of the World Bank, the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has launched the Vietnam Climate Innovation Center Project (VCIC).
I. Project background
VCIC project supports Vietnam’s economic development, job creation and industrial competitiveness through support to clean technology businesses and industries. Through provision of financing and non-financial services, VCIC supports local entrepreneurs that develop innovative technologies and business models in a range of climate technology-related areas. VCIC also provides a platform to create international business-to-business linkages, enhance knowledge sharing and facilitate trade. VCIC’s goal is to become a focal point of innovative commercial development of profitable climate-related business in Vietnam and potentially South East Asia. As a member of a global network of Climate Innovation Centers, VCIC will leverage existing practices and experience to support clean technology ventures and industries (see more information on the infoDev’s Climate Technology Program at http://www.infodev.org/climate).
The project activities consist of three components:
- Component I. Establishment, operation of the VCIC, and policy feedback: It involves administrative activities in establishing the VCIC; supporting policy improvement and public-private partnership in the climate change innovation field; and establishing a fund for technology incubation and commercialization of technology in responding to climate change.
- Component II. Business incubation/climate innovation technology services, including sponsor for companies: This component focuses on research activities and idea incubation (idea competition); incubating businesses through training, connecting and boosting investment; and supporting commercialization. Additionally, it involves sponsoring select entrepreneurs from proof of concept competitions.
- Component III. E-portal, database and business support services: through the creation of the VCIC e-portal; setting up database on technology, market opportunities, enterprises, climate change – related experts; dissemination, exploring and efficient use of the database.
VCIC operates under Vietnam Government’s regulations on management and use of ODA (Decree No. 16/2016/NĐ-CP and other related documents). The project governing body is the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Services to be provided by the VCIC:
- Entrepreneurship and Venture Acceleration, including advisory services; mentoring and business training; access to start-up facilities; and a women’s entrepreneurship program.
- Access to Finance, including proposal evaluation; proof of concept grants; access to a related Seed Capital Facility; and access to commercial investors and banks.
- Market Growth and Access through the production of market studies and reports on climate technology markets and trends and facilitation of national and international linkages.
- Technology and Product Development, principally by facilitating access to technical services, design, prototyping and testing and a network of national and international experts.
- Policy & Regulatory Support through research and policy advocacy.
VCIC has been operating for more than two years with a portfolio of 34 incubates (startups and small enterprises), working on technological innovations and new business models in the areas of: Energy Efficiency, Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water Management and Purification, and Information Technology for clean technologies. The original closing date of the project is June 2018 but the Government is in the process of getting the closing date extended to June 2020.
II. Job Description
The Project seeks a Program Manager to support the management and delivery of VCIC services to companies in order to meet its aspirational objectives. The Program Manager will be responsible for (i) supporting with the development and implementation of the VCIC’s strategy, (ii) ensuring high quality delivery of the VCIC’s services for enterprise as well as managing VCIC portfolio manager’s works effectively; (iii) developing and managing a diverse set of partnerships aimed at the Center’s sustainability, including supporting with funding proposals, (iv) continuously developing, adapting and refining VCIC’s service offerings and sustainability model,(v) Representing VCIC in interactions with donor partners and at high profile engagements. The Program Manager will be accountable for VCIC’s successful service offerings implementation, public relations, and for achieving and measuring progress towards development objectives to which the VCIC contributes.
To this end, VCIC is looking for candidates (local or international) with outstanding leadership and managerial capabilities, results-oriented mind-set, entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated understanding of issues related to entrepreneurship support. In addition to her or his thorough understanding of the local entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem, candidates should demonstrate that they can motivate and lead teams and build trust among all relevant stakeholders. The Program Manager will be reporting directly to the Project Management Unit (PMU) Director and will be selected following the WB procedures.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Advise the PMU on development of VCIC’s general strategy and provide support of its implementation;
- Oversee thet Managers f its implementatione engagements.ship relatedea, the most recent donor to infoDev'ations.uld better positthe Portfolio Managers, local or international short-term consultants, contractors working for the project to ensure the progress as well as the quality of the consulting services/the expected outputs;
- Ensure high quality delivery of the full range of VCIC’s services for small and medium enterprises (SMEs), including advisory, technical, policy and financing services as well as act as a liaison to sources of financing through syndicating commercial investors and bank financing;
- Brand and promote VCIC to ensure high visibility and a positive image of the Center, the World Bank, donor partners and other stakeholders;
- Closely work with PMU Director in interaction and maintaining strong and effective relations with stakeholders, donors, and industry associations as well as represent for VCIC at high profile events such as conferences, other relevant forums and media events;
- Liaise with domestic and international experts to build and develop resources for start-up incubation and other support services to VCIC’s clients;
- Closely work with PMU Director and Project Coordinator to actively develop funding proposals for VCIC;
- Support the PMU Director in building an evidence base of results, showcasing successful enterprises;
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Management Unit’s director.
- A Master’s degree in Management, Business Administration, Economic Development or other related areas;
- At least five (5) years of experience in managing business incubator, or working with start-up companies and providing support to SMEs;
- Entrepreneurial experience in having successfully started and/or run a business preferably in the clean tech sector will be considered a strong advantage;
- Demonstrated understanding of issues relating to enterprise development. It will be an advantage to have been involved in the management of a business incubator, accelerator, seed fund, or SME support organization;
- Strong communications and personnel management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with key stakeholders, from both public and private sectors;
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills, results-oriented mindset including ability to motivate and lead teams and engender trust amongst clients, employees and partners;
- Demonstrated passion, interest, knowledge and understanding about the dynamics of climate change;
- Comfortable working with companies that operate in the climate technology space, at various levels of technological sophistication;
- Experience in fundraising will be considered a strong plus;
- Rigorous understanding of the local context including the business and investment climate in Vietnam and the South East Asia Region in the private and public sectors is an advantage
- Evidence of networking ability. It will be an advantage to have established networks with the business community in Vietnam and the South East Asia Region at large;
- Ability to utilize appropriate software packages and technologies such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Adobe Acrobat, as per the demands of the job;
- Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
- Fluency in English is required;
V. Working Conditions
- The job may require working outside office hours to meet deadlines and address operational emergencies in some cases.
- The job will require on-site visits to VCIC clients located across Vietnam, on a regular basis.
- International and domestic travel may occur from time to time, including to interact with the global network of CICs.
VI. Reporting requirements
The interest candidates will contact to:
Project Management Unit of Vietnam Climate Innovation Center (VCIC)
Address: 8th Floor, Hoang Sam Building, 260 - 262 Ba Trieu Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi.
Phone: 024 3853 3333
VII. Submission of application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their (1) Letter of Interest, (2) Curriculum Vitae and (3) Proof of experience to VCIC office via email at email@example.com no later than 15th September 2018. Please quote “VCIC Program Manager – (full name)” in the subject line of the email. Review of applications will be on a rolling basis. Late submission will not be considered.